Newspaper ArticlesAll
Page 1 of 1


Adams, Berkshire, Massachusetts: 1816

Peter Worden: At Adams, in the 80th year of his age, Mr Peter Worden, formerly elder of the baptist church in Coventry, in this state, from whence he removed, with great part his people, about the year 1764 or 65, into the county of Berkshire, then an uncultivated country, where he resided until his death. The memory of this amiable and truly pious man will be long cherished by an extensive acquaintance.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 23rd July 1878

John Beeby:

An inquest was held at the Beckett Hospital and Dispensary on Tuesday, on the body of John Beeby, a man employed at J. Nall's, builder, Summer Lane, who met with his death on Monday week, through the effect of some burns caused by shavings catching fire to his legs. - Charlotte Jessop said she was the wife of John Jessop, Joiner, of Doncaster Road. Deceased did not live with witness. Deceased was a little infirm. He went regularly to work. Witness saw him on the Sunday before deceased was hurt. Deceased stayed to tea, and appeared to be all right then. Witness next saw him on the following Tuesday at the dispensary. Deceased was then quite sensible. Deceased appeared to be suffering from burns on the leg. Deceased said he was putting some shavings in the fire-hole when the draught blew the fire which caught his trousers. Deceased told witness he had attempted to put it out - Jabez Nall a builder, of Barnsley, said deceased had worked for him about two years, as stoker. Witness saw deceased on the afternoon of the day the accident occurred. The accident had then taken place. Witness saw his brother running out of the yard, and witness followed him. Witness saw a few shavings outside the fire-place. Deceased had been told not to burn the long shavings; only the short ones. The shavings were long ones. Witness saw deceased standing up about two yards from the firing place, and he heard deceased cry out "Oh dear" or something to that effect. Deceased had been told to inform witness's brother when any long shavings were to burn, as they did not think deceased was capable of burning them. The firing place was about 8ft by 7ft, and they had to get up a ladder out of the place. Deceased had never made any complaints about the draught. Deceased was quite sober at the time. As soon as witness saw deceased, and heard him cry he tried to put the fire out with his hands, and failing to do that, witness took off his coat and put it round deceased to try to smother the fire. When they got the fire out some of the men took deceased in a dog cart to the Dispensary. At that time witness did not think there was anything serious. Witness's brother on returning at once turned a water tap on the shavings and put them out, which might have been done by the deceased had he had presence of mind. - Wm Jessop, grandson of the deceased, said he was employed at the mill when the accident occurred. He was in the habit of taking the shavings to the firing place. He generally threw the shavings down by the fire. Witness heard a cry after leaving the firing place and on returning found that deceased had caught fire. Witness told deceased to put the fire out with the water pipe and in going to the water deceased fell. - Wm. Hy. Smith, house surgeon, said the deceased suffered from extensive burns on both legs, which, in his opinion, caused death. - The Foreman thought it would be better if the shavings could be consumed in the yard, as that limited space in the firehouse made it dangerous to anyone who was not very active. The jury returned the verdict of "Accidental Death."


Wigan Observer and district Advertiser - 3rd June 1885

Peter Worthington

Man Found Drowned at Standish

On Monday at Noon, an old man named Peter Worthington, of High Street Standish was found drowned in the Broomfield reservoir in that township. He had been in the village shortly before and how he got into the reservoir is a mystery in as much as it is fenced round. Deceased formerly was in the employ of the Wigan Coal & Iron Co. as a contractor, but recently he has been out of work and has been living with a married daughter. Though he has been somewhat depressed in spirit for a considerable period, it was not anticipated that he would endanger his life and accordingly he has been allowed to go abroad at pleasure. The information of the finding of the body caused considerable commotion amongst the inhabitants, and as it was born home, the bells of Standish Church were ringing a merry peel in honour of the visit of the Bishop of Manchester who had just concluded a confirmation in the sacred edifice.


Sheffield Daily Telegraph ; 26th December 1885

John Harrison: On Christmas Eve a sad and fatal accident occurred to Mr. John Harrison, the secretary and manager of the Boythorpe Colliery Company Limited, Chesterfield. The deceased gentleman was only appointed to the post about three months ago, in succession to Mr. G.J. Wood, who left to take up residence in London. It appears that the Boythorpe Colliery Company have at their works two shafts - one for the Blackshale seam and the other for Tupton seam. They are from 200 to 300 yards apart and are connected on the surface by two lines of railway, which cross on a level the main road from Chesterfield to Matlock. For hauling about the waggons a small locomotive owned by the company is used, and on Thursday evening this locomotive was at the Tupton Pit about 6.15, just as Mr. Harrison was proceeding to his residence at Whitecoates, only a very short distance beyond the level crossing. A clerk with whom he was conversing drew Mr. Harrison's attention to the engine, and told him to be careful, and the deceased replied that he could see it. He walked on, and just as he was passing over the crossing, the engine, which he apparently, on account of the fog prevailing, not observed being put into motion, came up suddenly, and struck him. He was knocked down and his left arm was completely severed from his body. Assistance was immediately at hand, but he had expired before he could be removed. Dr. Macdougall was sent for, but life had been extinct some time before his arrival.

The body was first conveyed to the company's office, and subsequently, when the news had been broken to Mrs. Harrison, was taken home. The deceased gentleman, who was 42 years of age, leaves a widow and seven children. In his pockets, after his death, were found some Christmas toys, which he was carrying home for them. He was widely known and respected, having formerly held the post of circuit steward for the Tibshelf Wesleyan Circuit, and having for many years been an acceptable local preacher in connection with that body.


Harrison - Dec.24.  Mr J. Harrison of Whitecoates, Chesterfield, aged 41. The internment will take place at Chesterfield Cemetery on Tuesday, the 29th, at 3.30. Friends please accept this invitation.

THE DERBYSHIRE TIMES - Saturday January 2nd 1886 page 3.


On Christmas Eve a shocking accident occurred at Boythorpe, near Chesterfield, to Mr. John Harrison, manager of the Chesterfield and Boythorpe Colliery Company Limited, which Mr. Harrison was almost instantly killed, leaving a widow and seven small children to bewail their loss. It appears Mr. Harrison had been in Chesterfield with his wife making purchases, and about 4.30 o'clock he sent his wife and some children home in a cab and followed on foot shortly afterwards.  He was accompanied part of the way by a friend who parted with him near a level crossing of the Boythorpe Colliery Line. His friend noticed that the engine had steam up, and cautioned Mr. Harrison to mind how he crossed the line, to which Mr. Harrison replied that he knew the place well. The next thing known was that a man named Bridgett observed the train pass, and immediately afterwards saw Mr. Harrison lying on the ground. He ran to him and found one arm (the left) torn from his body, and it was evident he had sustained other tearful injuries.  Bridgett removed the dying man a short distance from the rails, and then ran for aid.  He returned in a few moments with some other men, but Mr. Harrison expired almost instantly. The scene of the accident is only a few yards from Mr. Harrison's residence, where his wife and children were awaiting his return.  The intelligence spread gloom over Chesterfield on Christmas Day.

THE DERBYSHIRE TIMES - Saturday January 2nd 1886 - page 3

NOTES BY THE WAY: Derbyshire sayings and doings

The terrible accident to Mr. Harrison at Boythorpe on Christmas Eve, recalls to my memory the fact that when our present Mayor was giving evidence on behalf of the Chesterfield Borough Extension Bill, he was sneeringly asked by the counsel for the opposition what good the council could have done more than the outlying authorities had done. Mr. Wood replied, inter alia, that the Corporation would have objected to the level crossings in Boythorpe Lane. It is a pity no one did object. Level crossings mean certain death to some one sooner or later. I believe the crossing at Sheepbridge caused half a dozen deaths before it was replaced by a bridge, and in my view they ought to be prohibited. They are usually unprofitable even to the railway or colliery company, as the wages of the men employed as watchmen total up to the value of a bridge in about ten years.

It is to be hoped that the Boythorpe Colliery Co. will take immediate steps to obviate a second catastrophe like poor Mr. Harrison's cruel death. The deepest sympathy is felt for his widow and family, and I think it would take a tangible form if the friends of the family think it desirable.

THE DERBYSHIRE TIMES - Saturday January 2nd 1886 page 5.


On Tuesday afternoon the mortal remains of Mr. John Harrison, the manager of the Boythorpe Colliery, who was killed close to his home on Christmas Eve, were interred in the Chesterfield Cemetery amidst many signs of deep respect and regret. The principal mourners were the deceased's widow and several of the elder children, deceased's father and two brothers-in-law. The principal officials of the colliery also followed the body to its last resting place, and at West Bars the stewards and minister of the Wesleyan Chapel joined the mournful cortege. We are requested to state that Mr. Powell Williams, MP for South Birmingham, the chairman of the Company, was prevented from being present owing to the hour at which the internment took place. The funeral was supplied by Mr. Clayton Slack, of Lordsmill Street and Mr. F. Glossop, of St. Mary's Gate, Chesterfield.  For a full report of the inquest see page 3.


The Mossley and Saddleworth Reporter: Saturday June 16th, 1888

Mr Benjamin Silverwood:

28 January, 2012 America.

Intelligence has been received during the week of the sad death by drowning, of Benjamin Silverwood, son of Mr Charles Silverwood, of the Green, Roughtown. Benjamin Silverwood, who was 33 years of age, had been in America for six years. He resided with his wife at Morton Street, Mechanicsville, Fall River. Wednesday, May 30th, was Memorial Day, an anniversary set apart for the decoration of the graves of those who fell in the civil war, and a day generally observed in America, by picnics, social parties, etc., On that day Mr and Mrs Benjamin Silverwood went across the river to what is called a clam bake, and in the evening were returning home in company with John Emmet and Shaw Oldham, two other Mossley men, and three other men named Thomas Banks, Thomas Miller and John Miller, most of whom had their wives with them. When they got to the river it was decided that the men should cross in one boat and the women in another. The men started first, and had not gone more than 50 yards when two men shifted from one side of the boat to the other, causing it to capsize. There are several versions as to why the men moved, one being that the boat began to leak. However that may be, Silverwood, who was at the tiller ropes, was drowned, along with Thomas Banks and Thomas Miller. Mrs Silverwood saw the accident from the bank, and fainted away. One version of the drowning is that Silverwood sank immediately, and was never seen again, while another is that he clung to the boat until he could hold on no longer, and then sank. The bodies of the three men were not recovered until the morning following.
We take the following report from the "Fall River Globe", of May 31st:
"The accident occurred on the west side of the river off Sandy Point, a little north of the old Slade's ferry-house. Six men had put off in a small oar-boat and proceeded but about 50 yards when two of the occupants caused the boat to capsize by suddenly moving to one side, on which three others were seated. Three of the men, Benjamin Silverwood, Thomas Banks and Thomas Miller, disappeared in the water almost immediately, and were drowned. The other occupants were John Emmet, Shaw Oldham and John Miller. The latter swam ashore, and Emmet and Oldham were rescued by Joseph Berry and Thomas Vernon, who went to their assistance in a boat. The bodies of the drowned men were found early this morning with grappling irons. Miller's was discovered not more than ten yards from the shore. Thomas Banks was a weaver at the Weetamoe Mill, resided on Suffolk Street, and leaves a widow and two children. He was a member of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows. Benjamin Silverwood was 33 years of age, a painter by trade, and resided on Morton Street, Mechanicsville, he leaves a widow but no children. Thomas Miller was 31 years old, and a blacksmith by trade, but recently he had been working as a Labourer at the City Hall. He resided at No 45, Brightman Street. He has only been in this country about six months, and had a wife and child in England. The party were returning from a clam bake across the river"


Sheffield and Rotherham Independent ; 18th May 1891

Mrs Ann Hammerton of Cambridge House, Darfield, who was in her 81st year, was interred at Darfield Churchyard yesterday afternoon.


The Argus (Melbourne) - Tuesday 5th November 1895

Country News
Monday Evening

A boy named Arthur Petch, nine years of age, lies in the hospital in a critical condition suffering from fracture ot the skull. He sustained the injury through falling a distance of 15ft from the roof of the Golden Point State School while birdnesting.


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 21st December 1904

William Reader married Elizabeth Ann Barrett in St John's Parish Church on the 26th December 1904.


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 24th February 1906

James William Ellis: Aged 13 yrs died on 14th February 1906 and buried at Barnsley Cemetery on 17th February 1906. Son of James and Annie Ellis.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 15th April 1911

William Jessop: Husband of Leonora Alberta Jessop who died 6th April 1911.


Sydney Morning Herald, Monday, 26th February 1912; Page 9

William Bedford Silverwood

Daring Efforts at Rescue.

At about 2.30 yesterday afternoon Dr. W. B. Silverwood, 49, of Cangai, lost his life in the surf at Manly Beach. The deceased gentleman had arrived from the north only that day, and had taken rooms at the Central Coffee Palace. n company with a companion, Mr. Hatfield, he went to Manly, and entered the water shortly after lunch.

Mr. Jack Reynolds, one of the Manly Life Saving Club, soon saw that Mr. Hatfield was in difficulties, and at once swam out to his aid. By the time he reached him Mr. Hatfield had managed to get into quiet water and was coming ashore. Mr. Reynolds then turned back, not having seen Dr. Silverwood, but his attention was called by some onlookers, and he at once re-entered the water, this time accompanied by Messrs. Belvin and Falls with the life line. Reynolds at last reached the body of the doctor, which was now lying face downwards on the sandy bottom nearly two hundred yards from shore.

With the aid of the life-line the body was brought ashore, but not before the three rescuers had suffered severely at the hands of the crowd, who foolishly rushed the life-line and dragged them ashore. All three were in the last stages of exhaustion when they reached the beach.

For two and a half hours Drs. Rogers, O'Hara, and Bennett, who were on hand, endeavored to restore animation, but were unable to do so. Dr. Rogers pronounced life extinct, and gave it as his opinion that death was due to heart failure while in the water.


Sydney Morning Herald: Tuesday, 27th February 1912; Page 7

William Bedford Silverwood: The Funeral of the late Dr. W. B. Silverwood will leave the Mortuary Station, Regent-street, THIS (Tuesday) AFTERNOON, at 1.55, for Necropolis. Mrs. P. KIRBY and SON Ltd., Funeral Directors. 7 Elizabeth-street, city, and all suburbs.


The Mossley and Saddleworth Reporter - Saturday, 22nd August 1914

Hannah Silverwood (Nee Moss): Death of Mrs Silverwood - Mrs Herbert Silverwood,, of Brunswick Street, Micklehurst, died on August 13th, in her 70th year. The funeral took place at the Parish Church on Saturday, the Rev. M. Davies, B. D., officiating.

Amongst the mourners were: Mr Silverwood, Mr R. Moss, Mr and Mrs F. Taylor, Mr and Mrs E. Buckley and Robbie, Mr and Mrs Angus Holden, The Rev. Mr. Davies, Mr and Mrs T. Wooliscroft and Miss Booth, Miss Baxter, Mr and Mrs J. Mills, Mr and Mrs Albert Buckley Mr and Mrs W. Taylor, Mrs Hawley and Nora, Mr Crompton.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 25th November 1916

Arthur Danforth:

Fatality at Elsecar Main

A verdict of accidental death was on Monday returned by a Hoyland Jury, at an inquest on Arthur Dunforth (20) at 4, Elizabeth Street, Hoyland. He was working on the night shift at Elsecar Main Colliery and was in charge of a pony delivery some empty tubs up a jinney when one of the tubs got of the road and struck a defective prop which was supporting a roof bar. Dunforth was found some time later by a Trammer named Charles Boyle who said that he was almost completely buried by the fallen debris.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 25th November 1916

William Jessop:

Five Sons in the Army
Old Mill Widow´s Proud Honour
One Son Gains Military Medal and Bar

Private Wm. Jessop, 10th Northumberland Fusiliers whose home is at Craigs Court, Old Mill, has been awarded a Bar to his Military Medal which he won in the earlier days of the advance. Interviewed on Monday by a "Barnsley Chronicle" representative directly after his arrival from France, Pte Jessop proved to be a very modest hero and it was somewhat  difficult matter to extract details of his achievement. The military Medal was awarded to him for bringing in wounded and a repetition  of this on the night of August 30-31st gained him the bar. This occurred during a bombing raid on the German trenches. After going over the top for the second time, Pte. Jessop, together with two other men who were also awarded the Military Medal, heroically brought he wounded man back to the lines.

Pte. Jessop has taken part in the battle of the Somme and says that he never thought he would come through it. Whilst in France he met his uncle Pt E Willcock's whose photo has appeared in the "Chronicle" and who is also a military medallist. Pte. Jessop enlisted in December 1914, and has seen 16 months service in France. His mother, who is a widow, has four other sons serving, one of whom has been missing for about 2 years. Her father was an old Volunteer. Private Jessop expects to return to the front on the 29th Inst.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 25th November 1916

William Reader:

"One of the Very Best"

Officer's Tribute to Barnsley Man

Yesterday, we were informed of the death in action of Private William Reader, 1/6th Black Watch Regiment, whose wife and three children reside at 7, Crookes Street, Barnsley. The deceased soldier enlisted in June 1915 and has been in France since July last. He was 34 years of age.

Second-Lieut. J.J. Watt writing to Mrs Reader says: "It is with the deepest regret that I write to tell you that your husband was killed on the 14th November. He was in my platoon and was one of the best – the very best – fellows I had and was very popular and cheery, making himself liked wherever he went. Our Battalion attacked the German trenches in the early morning of the 13th inst.; the attack was completely successful and we gained our objective. There is one small consolation in knowing that your husband did not suffer any pain, and was laid to rest in a soldier´s grave inside our own lines by our own fellows. He has done his duty bravely fighting for his King and Country. I beg to offer you from all in the platoon and on my own behalf our deepest sympathy in your great bereavement."

Before the war, Private Reader worked at Messrs. Dobson and Nall´s Glassworks.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 2nd December 1916

Ellis Wilcock:

Local DCM Wounded

Private Elliss Willcock, DCM, Stretcher Bearer, Y & L, has been wounded in three places in the leg by shrapnel, and after being in hospital at Rohan, France, he has been transferred to the base. Writing to his wife at Penistone before being wounded he says "We have had a tattering time of it lately but I hope I shall soon have leave. I have been very lucky. I got a bullet through my boot sole, part of coat was torn by shrapnel, and my mate was wounded by my side."

Writing later he says "After going over the top I gota shakeup and was buried a time or too. I don't know where my Battalion is now, there are not many of us left."


Albion, Dane, Wisconsin, United States of America

George Silverwood: a pioneer farmer of Albion Township was a native of Yorkshire, England, where he was born on Christmas Day 1827. Of a family of six, he was the only son to come to America. He was brought up as a farmer and lived in England until after he reached the age of twenty-one when he embarked on a sailing vessel for the United States. The journey proved to be a long and perilous one − it having take thirteen weeks to make the trip. Before its completion, both crew and passengers suffered from shortage of food and drinking water. Mr Silverwood finally reached Milwaukee without a penny in his pocket and begain work at once. Continuing his journey to Albion, he was employed by the settlers in clearing land etc., and afterwards was able to buy a farm of his own. The farm which he purchased contained one hundred acres and was all wild. The first building on the property was alittle log house − afterwards replaced by a more commodious home. Many other improvements were made and Mr. Silverwood always made it his home.
  He was first married to Miss Mary Cooper, of Derbyshire, England and they began housekeeping in the little log cabin. One daughter blessed this marriage, Ann who married Mr. Morris Hain of Edgerton. In 1906 Mrs Hain was killed on a railroad crossing in Edgerton.
  Mr. Silverwood used to delight his grandchildren with tales of early association and friendliness with the Indians. He told of little children who came to play with the little white "papoose" Ann and of the big Indian chief who brought his sick squaw tiny papoose to spend the stormy night in the log cabin.
  In 1869 he married Miss Helen Calder of Waukesha County, daughter of James and Keith Dunbar Calder, formerly of Perthshire, Scotland. Mrs. Silverwood died June 3 1900, and since that time Mr. Silverwood made his home with his daughter Mrs. Naset.
  Altho Mr. Silverwood suffered from partial blindness for several years and so was unable toread he was greatly interested in the affairs about him. He was keenly interested in the out-come of the present great war and often compared these war times with the times of the civil war. He was a member of the Primitive Methodist Church an took an active part in the building of the present church on Albion Prairie.
  Six children were born of the second marriage. Thomas P who is an Attorney at Green Bay, Mary Dunbar Slagg, and George H, of Albion Prairie. Emma S. Naset, Beulah H. died in infancy and Percy W., an Attorney at Seymour. There are eleven grandchildren.
  Mr. Silverwood spent the last few winters in the South accompanied by Mr and Mrs Jens Naset. He died at Pensacola, Florida March 31st. Easter Morning at the age of ninety years. One of his closest neighbours and a friends spoke of him as a man who always gave "the other fellow a little the best of the bargain."
  The funeral was held from the Prmitive Methodist Church, on April 3rd. Rev Geach officiated.
  His children like to think that his last birthday (Christmas) was spent in the warm south and that peacefully fell sleep on Easter Morning in the land of sunshine and fragrant flowers.


The Pontefract & Castleford Express ; February 21st 1919

Theodore Francis Harrison

Death of Mr T F Harrison.

Pontefract business circles have lost an able man in Mr Theodore Francis Harrison of Beastfair, who died on Sunday in his 40th year after a long period of ill health. He was a native of Derbyshire and came to Pontefract some 20 years ago to Messrs. Hemnant, Grocers, now Messrs. Geo. Hemnant ltd. He possessed excellent business abilities and devoted himself assiduously to the interests of the firm. When the company was formed he was made a director and secretary and held these offices down to his death. Since the firm took over the shops owned by Alderman R.P Husband J.P., the deceased has devoted himself especially to this part of the business.

He took to his bed some three weeks before his death and the end was not expected. There is every sympathy with the widow (a daughter of Mr & Mrs J B Anderson, fruiterer) and his three children. The internment took place on Wednesday noon, the first part of the service being held in the Parish Church, the curate Revd. P.L. Conway officiating. Of chief mourners there were present the widow; Charlie and Norman, sons; Messrs. Wm. Harrison (Doncaster), Sydney Harrison (Barnsley), Norton Harrison (Barnsley), Herbt. Harrison (Tamworth) and Chas. Harrison (Melton Mowbray), brothers; Mrs. Calow (Brimington), sister; Miss Allen, step-sister; Mr. J.B. Anderson, father-in-law; Mr. W.H. Anderson (Hemsworth) and Corpl. Anderson, brothers-in-law; Mrs. Norton Harrison and Mrs. Sydney Harrison, sisters-in-law. There were also present Mr. Geo. Hemnant and Miss F.A. Hemnant (Directors), Miss Lee, Mr. J.C. Whitaker (Branch Manager), Mr. F. Elston (Doncaster manager), Messrs. W.H. Hattersley, T. Earnshaw, F. Sykes, E. Bowler, and B. Tasker and Misses Hopkinson, Mallowes, Heckingbottom, Carr, Longbottom and Beaumont, representing Messrs. Geo. Hemnant Ltd; Ald. R.P. Husband J.P; Messrs. W. and E. Atkinson and T. Watkinson. The beautiful wreaths etc were from 'wife and children'; 'Mr. J.B. Anderson and family'; 'Charlie and Tot'; 'Violet the Grove, Pontefract'; 'Nance and Syd'; 'the staff at No 6 Market Place'; 'Mr & Mrs G. Hemnant'; 'Miss F.R. Lee'; 'Mrs & Miss Gawthorpe'; 'Miss Hemnant and Miss F.A. Hemnant'; 'Mr. J.C. Whitaker'; 'Annie & Will'; Mrs J.W. Hemnant'; 'Lottie and Herbert' and 'Mr & Mrs Easton'. Mr Woodcock of Messrs. Gelder Brothers and Woodcock had charge of the funeral arrangements.


Gazette and Herald: 1924

John Grounds of Brownslow, Norbreck: Head master of Parish Church Schools at Tyldesley. Founding member of Tyldesley Cricket Club. Died in 74th year, after operation for acute appendicitis.


Geelong Newspaper: Deeply Mourned

Emmerton: On the 14th September 1927 (suddenly) at his residence, Burngrave, Little Ryrie Street, Geelong, John, the dearly loved husband of Annie Hammerton aged 63 years.


The Argus (Melbourne, Vic:): Saturday 3 March 1928

By his will, which has keen lodged for probate, the late Mr J Hammerton, jeweller, left his valuable museum to the City of Geelong. His photographic and museum books have been bequeathed to the Gordon Institute of Technology. The museum was regarded as being one of the most complete private collections in Victoria.


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 23rd March 1929

Alfred Edward Scrivens: Who passed away on 13th March 1929 and was interred in Monk Bretton Cemetery on 16th March 1929 from Loving wife and daughter


The Daily Independent ; 15th July 1933

Daniel Rooke Hammerton: At Cambridge House, Darfield, on Friday May 12th, 1933, Daniel Hammerton aged 94 years. Interment at Darfield Parish Church on Tuesday May 16th at 2.30pm.

From Miner to Surveyor - Death of Darfield Nonagenarian

The death has occurred at the age of 94 of one of the Dearne Valley's "Grand Old Men", Mr Daniel Hammerton, Cambridge House, Snape Hill Road, Darfield. Mr Hammerton was a native of Worsbrough, near Barnsley, and commenced work at an early age in a mine in the locality. By diligent study he later qualified as a surveyor, and was employed by the local authority at Darfield. During a period of fifty years, Mr Hammerton held the positions of Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector, Assistant Overseer and Collector for the Darfield Local Board, and on the constitution of the Urban district Council he was elected a member. His photograph, which now hangs in the Council Chamber at Darfield, was placed there on his retirement as a mark of appreciation for its long service.; For the greater part of his life he had been a staunch Methodist, and was a keen supporter of the Primitive Methodist connection at Darfield. He was an ardent Liberal. Mr Hammerton leaves three sons and three daughters. One son is Registrar at Wombwell. The funeral is to take place at Darfield Parish Church on Tuesday next.


The Argus (Melbourne) - Tuesday 19th September 1944


Mr Herbert G Petch

The death occurred suddenly at his home in Hotham st, East St Kilda, on Sunday evening of Mr Herbert G. Petch, aged 54. Mr Petch, who was born at Ballarat, joined the Melbourne staff of Suttons Pty Ltd more than 30 years ago, and was manager of the piano department at the time of his death. He was well known in Masonic circles, and was a Past Master of the Doric Lodge and treasurer for more than 20 years, and he attained Grand Lodge honours. Mr Petch is survived by a widow, two sons, and one daughter. The funeral will leave [his] late residence at 3.30pm today for Melbourne Cemetery, Carlton.


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 21st December 1904

William Reader married Elizabeth Ann Barrett in St John's Parish Church on the 26th December 1904.


The Mercury (Hobart, Tas.) Tuesday 15 July 1947

Remarkable Escape PERTH (W.A.), Mon. - Leonard Robert Watson, haulage contractor, had a remarkable escape yesterday when he crashed his privately owned Moth Minor plane into a fence. Watson stepped out of the aircraft to examine the damage.


The Advertiser (Adelaide) Tuesday 15 July 1947, page 6

Narrow Escape In W.A. Plane Crash PERTH, July 14. Leonard Robert Watson, haulage contractor, had a narrow escape from serious injury when his Moth Minor plane crashed yesterday at Carnamah, about 150 miles north of Perth. Watson stepped almost unhurt from his severely damaged machine after it had....


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 15th September 1956

John Jessop: In memory of a dear father and grandfather who passed away on 7th February 1956. From Son John & May. From Grandchildren Stephen, Rhona and Susan. From Sister Lillian and Fred.


Bilsthorpe : 1957

Titus Wilcock

Bilsthorpe Mans Funeral

The funeral took place yesterday week of Mr T Wilcock (51) of 97, Church Street Bilsthorpe, whose death was reported in last weeks Chad. The Rev R Phillips (rector) officiated at the funeral service at St Margaret's Church Bilsthorpe. Mourners Mrs J Wilcock (wife) Mesrs R E & A Wilcock (sons) Mr & Mrs Spittlehouse } Daughters & Son in Laws Mr & Mrs Fensome Dorothy, Jean & Margaret Wilcock (Daughters) Mr & Mrs T Wilcock } Brothers & Sister in Laws Mr & Mrs A Wilcock June Colbridge (niece) Mrs C Kirk } Sister in Laws Mrs C Booth Mr J Moody Mr A Pearson Mr a Froggatt Mr G Thompson (members of Miners Welfare) Mr T Steadman Mr S Nash ( Stanton Arms) Mr J Jepson Mr G Wigginton ( Angling Club) Floral Tributes Jennie, Audrey & Sid, Rob & June, Alan & Barbara, Dorothy & Johnnie, Betty & Clarry, Jean, Margaret, Jennifer, Kathleen & Eileen. Ann, Malcolm & Micheal, Tom & Janet, Albert & Mary, Nan & Charles, Harry & Meg Pat, Bill & Colin. Mr & Mrs Fensome (Friends & Neighbours) Mr & Mrs Steadman & Stanton Staff Harry, Les & Brenda (Angling Club) Supervision Friends of Metal Box. Hitchinson of Bilsthorpe were undertakers.


Barnsley Chronicle Date : 5th January 1963

Elizabeth Ann Copley: In loving memory of a dear Mother and Grandma who fell asleep December 27th 1962 from Daughter Ivy and Granddaughter Julie, from Daughter Olive, Son in Law Eric and Grandchildren Patricia and Colin, from Daughter Mary, Son in Law Jack and Grandchildren Mary, Susan and Allen.


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 16th November 1963

Annie Poulton: In loving memory of a dear Mother, Annie, who passed away November 1st 1963 from Daughter Betty, Son in Law Doug and Grandchildren David & Carol. From Son Frank, Daughter in Law Cath & Children. From Daughter Barbara, Son In Law Maurice and Grandchildren Susan & Maurice.


Barnsley Chronicle Date: 27th August 1976

John Reader: In memory of a loving Brother, Jack. From Sister Ivy, Jack. From Olive & Family. From Niece Mary, Mick & Family. From Niece Julie, Terry & Family. From Sister Mary, Jack, Susan & Mick.


Chicago Tribune : 1st November 1978

Ralph J Silverwood: died Sunday, Oct. 29, St. Petersburg, Fla., 72 years old, born Green Bay, Wisc., lived in Chicago 1924-70. Attended Ripon College, graduated University of Chicago. Owner and President of Silverwood, Inc. Realtors, 71st and Clyde. President Chicago Realtor Board 1955-56. President Illinois Realtor Assoc. of Chicago 1956.President Frances Juvenile Home Assoc. of Chicago 1940-50. Survived by his wife Kathryn; two sons Thomas E. of Glenview and James R. of Washington D. C. and daughter Pamela Silverwood of Washington D. C.; two grandchildren Geoffrey R. and Douglas C. Silverwood of Glenview and a brother George P. of Green Bay, Wisc. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society in his name.


Chicago Tribune: 29th January 1995

Robert T Silverwood: 82, former director of the Chicago Real Estate Board and past president of the South Side Real Estate Board, died Wednesday at Christ Hospital and Medical Center in Oak Lawn. An Evergreen Park resident, Mr. Silverwood founded Silverwood Realtors Inc., 1900 E.71st St., Chicago. He also served as a Navy lieutenant during World War II. Survivors include his wife, Marie; a daughter, Sharon Conry; sons James, George and Steven; and eight grandchildren. Services for Mr. Silverwood will be at 9:15 a.m. Monday at Andrew J. McGann & Son Funeral Home, 10727 S. Pulaski Rd.


Barnsley Chronicle: 7th & 14th May 2002

William Holland: Fond memories of a dear friend. rest in Peace from Keith, Dave, Steve and Carol, Trish and Paul

    Treasured memories of a beloved Husband, Dad, Granddad and Great Granddad who passed away on 11th May aged 82.

        From Loving wife Doreen and Son Barry

        From Son William and Daughter in Law Karen

        From Granddaughter Tracy, Neil, Francesca and Charlotte

        From Grandson, Lee and Angie

        From Joan and Family

        From May and Glenn

        From Lee and Mandy, Ian and Helen and Great Grandchildren

        From Elizabeth, Sam and Family


Chicago Tribune: May 2002

Marie A Silverwood (Nee Miller): beloved wife of the late Robert T. Silverwood; loving mother of Sharon (Thomas) Conry, James, George(Patricia) and Steven Silverwood; cherished grandmother of Christine, Carolyn, Anne Conry, Jonathan (Monica), Katherine, Lauren, Margaret and James Silverwood. Visitation Friday 3 to 9 p.m. Funeral Saturday 9:15a.m. from the Andrew J. McGann & Son Funeral Home, 10727 S. Pulaski Rd. to St. John Fisher Church for mass at 10 a.m. Interment Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. 773-783-7700 or 708-423-5400


Wisconsin State Journal : 2003

Irene Silverwood

Woman's Love Of Teaching Will Live On In Donated Working Farm.
(LOCAL/WISCONSIN) Beth Williams.
Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2003 Madison Newspapers, Inc
Byline: Beth Williams Wisconsin State Journal

EDGERTON -- Irene Silverwood, who donated a 300-acre working farm to Dane County for a park, died Monday at the age of 84.

"She was an incredible mentor and personal hero for me," Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk said. "What was really unique about her vision was she wanted that farm to forever be a working farm so that park will be a working farm park."

Silverwood donated the 300 acres of farmland, woods and Rice Lake waterfront property to the county in 2001 but the retired Edgerton High School business teacher continued to live on the land.

"Education is my life, and I want this land to be used for education, "Silverwood said in 2001. "Many people want to buy it. But being a farm girl and such, I wanted to keep it the way it is."

Silverwood County Park in the town of Albion, in far southeastern Dane County, will continue to be run as a modern farm and can be used to showcase the latest farm technology and give ideas to area farmers, Falk said.

"This is a real rare thing," Falk said. "Given the rapid growth, time is of the essence to take steps to preserve the farms that we have.... It's exactly like (Silverwood) to be pushing the envelope to do things better."

Silverwood's husband, Russell, served on the Dane County Board from 1949 to 1963 and the couple, who had no children, discussed donating the land long before he died in 1988.

A Busseyville native, Silverwood taught business education at Edgerton High School for 43 years. She retired in 1984.

"She was a very good commercial arts teacher and very sociable with faculty as well as kids," said former Edgerton Schools Superintendent Ken Williams.

Even after she retired, Silverwood stayed involved with the high school serving as a senior class adviser.

Becky Fjelstad's daughter, Elizabeth, graduated Edgerton High School last year.

"She gave every person in that class a silver dollar," Fjelstad said. "She just did neat little things like that. She always had a heart for kids."

Visitation will be held today from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Albrecht Funeral Home, 1004 S. Main St., Edgerton. Silverwood's funeral is 11 a.m. Friday at the Busseyville Community Church.


Barnsley Chronicle: October 17th 2003

Peter Mellor: In loving memory of a dear husband, Dad and Grandad who passed away 10th October aged 67 years. Loving husband to Brenda, dearly loved Dad to Jane and Gillian. Father in Law to Phil, Tom and Wayne. Loving Grandad to Lucy, Amy, Harry, Millie and Anna. Reunited with our dear daughter Debbie.

    Love from sister Cath, Len and Family

    From Susan, Mick and Family

    From all his friends and workmates from Barnsley Brewery and Corner Pockets.


Surfer Magazine Date: 2011

James Blears: On February 6th, 2011, James Blears Jr. died in his sleep at friend's residence in Honolulu, Hawaii. He was 62.
Eldest son of famous wrestler and surf contest commentator James "Tally Ho" Blears, ´Jimmy´ literally grew up on the beaches of Waikiki and Makaha in a surfing family that included his colorful father, sister Laura and brother Clinton. Powerful goofyfoot, Blears became one of Hawaii's best-known junior surfers, riding for the prestigious Weber Team and dominating the Hawaiian Surfing Association ratings throughout the late-60s, early 70s.
But it wasn't all Ala Moana and Ewa Beach: Blears was one of the few surfers who ventured out to giant Makaha Point on that epic day in 1969 when Greg Noll caught his iconic last ride, and his performances at North Shore spots like Pipeline and Sunset were as flamboyant as his characteristic mutton-chop sideburns.
Blears' competitive highlight came when as a member of a strong Hawaiian team he won the 1972 World Surfing Championship at Ocean Beach San Diego, topping a field that included David Nuuhiwa, Peter Townend and Michael Ho. While that event is perhaps best known for Nuuhiwa's favorite Fish having been stolen and hung in effigy from the O.B. Pier, it's often forgotten that Blears also rode a Fish in the final. Yet despite his World Champion title the Nuuhiwa Incident placed a permanent asterix by Blears' name in the record books.
Few big contest results followed his '72 win and Blears eventually settled into life on the beach as a City and County Lifeguard, where for over 20 years he surveyed the passing surf scene -- and rescued countless numbers of hapless tourists -- from the Sunset Beach Tower.
Although plagued in later years with substance abuse issues, Blears had reportedly completed a rehabilitation program and had moved in with friends on the island of Kauai. He had only recently returned to Oahu when on the evening of February 6th his lifeless body was discovered lying in bed at a friend's residence.
While Blears might well be the least-known world champion in the sport's history, he certainly was one of the most well-liked, his passing all the much sadder for having come so soon and so sudden.


Please contact me if any of the above details are incorrect or you wish to add further information, photos etc.

Correct as at 1st December 2020